Thursday, July 9, 2009

Diversity and photography

All my friends know that diversity is near and dear to my heart and this year I had the privilege to expand my horizons a little more by photographing two Jewish weddings.

Mark and Trini live in New York but were married at Ashley Manor in AZ. There wedding was very traditional and full of learning opportunities for me. As soon as I arrived, Mark showed me the Huppah (canopy) where the ceremony was to take place and asked me not to step inside of it until after the wedding because it represented the home that the two would build together.



I went in to the manor and shot some of the traditional prewedding images but soon it was time to go to the table where Mark was signing the Ketubah (contract). Soon he was whisked away so that Trini could sign it as well. Here the Rabbi holds up the Ketubah:



Soon it was time for the ceremony. After Trini met Mark at the alter, she circled him 7 times, symbolizing building the walls to their new home. Mark then took the tallit (prayer shawl) that he had around his shoulders and wrapped himself and Trini in it.









They drank wine from beautiful goblets and then they put rings on each other's right index finger instead of left ring finger. Later that night during the formal photos, I shot this one which became one of my favorites:

After the breaking of the glass, the reception had several traditions to capture as well. Mark's dad blessed the bread and wine so that the eating could begin. Afterwards, before the cake cutting and bouquet and garter toss, Trini and Mark were elevated in their chairs for the Hora.














Freddie and Rachel's wedding was not as traditional but no less beautiful! They were married at San Marcos Resort on a beautiful lawn where the sun fell just about the time Freddie was kissing his new bride.













The Hora:






I am honored to have been part of these two special couples' wedding days.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos - I especially love the ring photo. I thought the accompanying descriptions also did a great job of describing the Jewish wedding customs. Mazel Tov to the wedding couples!

    ReplyDelete